Wednesday 27 January 2010

growing [again]




I have been visiting with the growing boy again and playing around with words. He has become like my own child now with a life of his own - the story has changed so much since it first began (and I notice too that he is beginning to crop up in other work when he has not been invited!). In my head the words mesh together to make this wonderful, magical world where he gets from start to finish and it all makes perfect sense (to me at least!), accompanied by fabulous, quirky and luminous illustrations of course! In reality, it is a little trickier to get it moving smoothly from one spread to the next and still work as whole... and it doesn't flow yet, it is still far too clunky. Lots of writing, scoring out, moving things around and, still, not quite there yet.


The story has become more surreal too, I'm not sure yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Only time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you... I LOVE looking at other illustrators' sketchbooks, I always think they are are so much more visually interesting than mine! Maybe it's just me who feels this way or maybe most illustrators do?

    ReplyDelete